Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sewing Project: The Cat Lady Dress (McCall's 6955)


This dress is my submission for the Cat Lady Sewing Challenge, hosted by my friend Erin of Miss Crayola Creepy. This particular projects is even more special because I used my very first self-designed fabric! I thought it would be fun to make my own custom fabric for this project and utilize some of my newly-acquired Adobe Illustrator skills. I wanted to create a vintage-inspired design reminiscent of 1950's handkerchiefs. It took me about a week to draw out the design on paper, trace it in Illustrator, and create a printable design. Once I got it to my liking, I ordered some fabric swatches from Spoonflower. If anyone would like, I can post a more detailed description of how I created the design and the fabric printing process.


I chose this pattern, McCall's 6955 for this dress, because I wanted a fairly simple design that wouldn't detract from the fabric. I'm happy with that choice, because this is a very straightforward pattern to sew and I think the shape is flattering on everyone. I did have to do a full bust adjustment on the bodice (another "first" for me) because the initial muslin was super tight around my chest. It took me a couple of tries, but now it fits very nicely. I added darts on the sides in the process and that really helped the fit.


Here's a better view of the fabric:

The pattern doesn't include pockets, but I decided to add them because pockets are awesome (especially on dresses). I used the pocket piece from the Sewaholic Cambie pattern, but I think I placed them a little bit too low. Oh well, they still work!

I have a bit of a thing for bows, so I tend to add them to everything. I wasn't sure if it really needs the bow in this case, so I made this one removable. What's your opinion- bow or no bow?


Naturally, I included Ruby and Bosley in the fabric design. Can you see the resemblance?
I also added some black piping to the waistband just to give it a little more detail. I originally wanted to add piping to the neckline and arm holes, but since the dress gets sewn together at the shoulders seemed like piping would get really bulky and hard to sew nicely.

In fact, the piping did create a problem for me at the waistband. When I first sewed the invisible zipper in it was really, really hard to zip up where that section came together. Even after I finally got the zipper up it promptly came apart the first time I tried it on and I had to unpick all of the sitches and re-sew it. The second time, I sewed a bit farther away from the teeth on the section where the piping came together. The result is that the zipper shows quite a bit, but the dress is much easier to zip up, so I'm ok with it. Anyone have a better solution to this problem?

Pattern: McCall's 6955
Fabric: main: Spoonflower cotton sateen
lining: ivory cotton sateen
 Size: 16 (with full bust adjustment)
 Alterations: Added pockets, lengthened hem by 4 inches (version A), lowered back bodice
Trims: Piping and Petersham ribbon bow
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
 
Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to see everyone else's Cat Lady projects!



Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Wanna See Our Engagement Photos?


On a very hot day last month, we met our future wedding photographer, Shannon at Disneyland and had our engagement photos taken. I was really hoping to take our photos on the Small World ride, since that's where we got engaged and it has a lot of happy memories for us, so I was really glad when Shannon agreed to my idea and was just as excited about it as I was. We planned it a few months in advance hoping to choose a time when the park was less crowded and when the day came, it was over 100 degrees in Anaheim! Needless to say, I was worried about looking like a big, sweaty mess, but Shannon did an amazing job and they came out really nice despite the insane heat! Thank you Shannon!
 You can see them all here on Plum Jam Photography's website.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Sewing Project: The Blue Bow Dress (Simplicity 1207, 1955)

Hi friends! I'm sharing one of my favorite new projects today. I started this dress several months ago with some great light blue cotton I picked up at The Fabric Store during our blogger meetup. I loved the color and the way the weave gives it a nice texture.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Retro Gathered Skirt Tutorial and $100 Hart's Fabric Giveaway!


Hi guys! I'm so excited to share this post today! I recently created a tutorial for the Hart's Fabric blog on how to make this simple gathered skirt. It has a retro vibe with a cute contrasting hem and waistband and I used a couple of fabrics from the amazing Cotton and Steel line (that I'm a teensy bit obsessed with). This skirt is fit for your own body using your measurements, is easy to make in just a few hours and perfect for those last few weeks of summer!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sewing Project: Scallops in Cotton and Steel (Advance 7831)


Hi guys, long time no see! I haven't posted for awhile but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy sewing. Today I wanted to share one of my latest projects- a vintage Advance pattern made up in some pretty Cotton and Steel lawn!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

And the Wedding Dress Pattern Hunt Continues...


         Yesterday, I went with my mom, my best friend, my cousin, and my future mother-in-law to look at wedding dresses. As you may know, I fully intend to make my own wedding dress, but I was advised by my sewing teacher and my mom to try on different styles before committing to one to sew, so I scheduled a couple of appointments at the few local bridal shops.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...